Mu Chapter of Kappa Alpha Theta was established at Allegheny College in 1876. During this time only seven women were in attendance at the college. Unfortunately, the chapter soon closed when all but one of the four members graduated. However, a group called The Pleiades was founded the following year. The Pleiades was based off Greek Mythology of the Seven Sisters, and consisted of seven women. In 1881, The Pleiades reestablish Mu Chapter.
Kappa Alpha Theta was not only the first Greek letter fraternity among women, but also the first women's fraternity established at Allegheny. Due to the chapters establishment so late in the school year, the members decided it was best to postpone the announcement of its existence until the fall. After its announcement, many of the women attending the college expressed their disapproval of the chapter's formation. However, the fraternities on campus openly welcomed the addition of Mu Chapter to Allegheny's Greek Life. Mu Chapter continues to be a seminal organization on Allegheny's campus with many sisters active not only with the Greek System, but within philanthropic organizations, sports teams, and more!